Interlakes Area United Way (IAUW) will invest $117,765 in local non-profits in 2020. The money will bolster 37 programs and organizations in the region which address and support mental and physical health, education and financial stability.
Representatives from some 2020 partner agencies with IAUW board members
"We are thrilled to support so many worthwhile causes in our region," said Lori Gustaf, president of IAUW. "We're proud of our partner agencies and the critical work they do in delivering services to the people of this region."
IAUW coordinates financial and volunteer resources for non-profit agencies in Lake, Miner and Moody Counties in South Dakota. Their goal is to strengthen and support communities and create opportunities for a great life by focusing on health and wellness, children and youth enrichment, education and development, basic needs and support, and senior outreach.
Grant funding was made possible by the generosity of individuals and businesses who donated to IAUW's most recent campaign drive, which concluded in December of 2019, as well as various other fundraising efforts held throughout the past year.
"We had a terrific year," she said. "Our annual WIN BIG raffle sold out for the first time ever, garnering $50,000 towards grant funds. Plus, our campaign raised over $77,000 in donations and pledges. We hope this success carries into 2020's efforts."
To receive funding, organizations must apply and meet allocation guidelines. The IAUW board reviews applications and considers them based on several factors, including community impact, program effectiveness and fiscal management, among others.
2020 recipients include:
• American Red Cross: Disaster Cycle Services
• Boy Scouts of America: Madison Area Scouts
• Boy Scouts of America: Sioux Council Boy Scouts
• Boys & Girls Club of Moody County
• Brookings Area Habitat for Humanity: New Home Construction
• Children's Care Corner
• Colman-Egan Schools: Little Hawks Pre-School
• Community Counseling Services
• Delta Dental Mobile Program (Madison and Flandreau locations)
• Dolly Parton Imagination Library
• Domestic Violence Network
• East Dakota Transit
• Flandreau Public School: Weekend Fuel
• Girl Scouts - Dakota Horizons: Girl Scout Leadership Experience
• High Plains Alternative School
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: 60's plus dining
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: Miner School Supplies
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: Moody School Supplies
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: Early Head Start Parent Incentive Program
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: Early Head Start Supplies Support
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
• Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership: Homeownership Education Program
• Interlakes Senior Citizen Center
• Lake County Dive Team
• Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota: Everyday Heroes Mentoring Program
• Madison Area Swim Club: Madison Makos
• Madison High School Club Baseball
• Madison Middle School: MakerSpace/Art Club
• Madison VFW Teener Baseball
• Madison Youth Wrestling Club
• Moody County 4-H Robotics
• Oldham Ramona After School Program
• Rutland Elementary Out of School Time
• Salvation Army of Madison: Temporary Welfare Assistance
• Sample Strong
• Valiant Living
IAUW announced 2020 allocations at its recent Annual Meeting, held February 3.